Welcome to rolling START! stock car racing on the web.  Best Viewed within a window of c800x600 pixels.
BriSCA F2 Stock Cars 2003 World Championship Weekend - 2L Saloon Stock Cars - Taunton - Saturday & Sunday 13/14 September 2003

Pictures by Karsten Bielschmidt of www.hotrodpics.de
Reporting by Alan Parkinson

[Next >>]

of 7

[Next >>]

of 7

Join our Discussion Group
Click here to subscribe to thenerf

Message Board

For Sale!/ Wanted!

Welcome to rolling START! stock car racing on the web

BriSCA F2 & Related
Saloon Stock Cars
Other Formulae


In conjunction with OVAL4.BIZ:
Business Directory
Raceteam Directory

Welcome to rolling START! stock car racing on the web

Links 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5



Welcome to rolling START! stock car racing on the web

Sponsor this Site

BriSCA F2 Stock Cars - 2L Sallon Stock Cars - Taunton - Saturday 13 September 2003

Pictures by Karsten Bielschmidt of www.hotrodpics.de
Alan Parkinson

At last the biggest racing weekend of the year had arrived, with day one of the speedweekend at Smeatharpe Stadium featuring the last chance consolation semi final for those drivers who fell at the first hurdle, Saloon Stock cars over five qualifying heats for their National Championship, along with a full programme of support BriSCA F2 Stock cars.
This brought the total number of F2s that raced on the night up to 84, a record for Smeatharpe.

BriSCA F2 Stock Cars
The consolation semi featured 24 of the 30 drivers eligible to race, and the drivers drew for their grid positions within grades to set up a fascinating race.

After an understandably frantic start to the race Simon Walker 781 established himself at the head of the field although a number of yellow flags that accounted for around half of the original grid, whittled away his lead. Tim Farrell 667 appeared desperate to make his way through the field, although a car that didn’t seem quite right in the handling department did not help his chances. Neil Hooper 676 was another west country hopefully that was at one stage making good progress, only to fall foul of Gary Walker 821 as they came down the home straight, both cars ending up in a heap on the infield.

Simon Walker continued to lead, and he came under pressure from Farrell who launched a suicidal attack going into the pit bend, Walker holding on to continue, whilst Farrell retired against the west bend fence. Gordon Moodie 79 was looking good in third only to have the car go sick on him, and whilst all this was going on Mark Simpson 871 came from nowhere to lead the race. He was followed through into second by Graham Kelly 721, with Walker, having held on so valiantly; found himself relegated further into fourth by Chris Cuming 393.

Simpson held on to take an unexpected victory, in a race that only seven drivers completed the distance. Post race scrutineering saw Roger Mitchell 905 and Lewis Geach 111 both disqualified for wheel irregularities handing seventh place man Chris Stephens 628 a lifeline into the big race.

Heat one saw Mike Priddle 14 as the early leader but a yellow flag early on for a whole gaggle of cars out on the west bend brought the race to a halt. Smeatharpe veteran Pete Rice 890 had by this time taken up the running, but he was amazingly reeled in by Andrew Stewart 669, who then took over at the head of the field. Rice held on for second, whilst Brad Moss 815 took third.

A lively start to heat two saw a huge pile up on the pit bend, Bryn Thomas 900 losing a wheel in the process. Scott Horsham 320 led the race for a time before his close friend Chris Mikulla 522 muscled him aside to take up the running. Davy McCory NI 940 and Chad Harris 29 indulged in some entertaining racing only for their battle to end in tears on the west bend fence Kelvyn Whalley 101 joining them. Mikulla held on to take the victory from Mike Rice 438.

David Polley 38 was an early spinner in heat three, in a race that saw Rob Batten 467 and Bryn Tootall 600 cut a swath through the field to make it up to first and second respectively in an entertaining battle. Mark Mills brought his car home in third, whilst Clair Maynard 251, one of the many drivers making a track debut settled in quite nicely and was able to bring the car home in sixth place.


In the first of the consolations Matthew Deeble 530 was leading although he was to fall foul of a pit bend marker tyre bringing out the yellow flags. Colin Smith 719 took up the running before Thomas moved through into the lead. He couldn’t hold back a flying Hooper who took the lead and the victory.
Consolation two came to a halt early on after a big west bend pile up. Once underway again Geoff Coleman 239 took up the running with McCory sat in second. Farrell was on a charge and he move through to take the lead and the win. Justin Fisher 315 pipped McCory for third by the flag.

A frantic final saw Hooper involved in a pit bend pile up, involving Stewart and Coleman. Maynard, and Pete Rice had a go at the front before Dan Holloway took up the running. Nothing could hold back Farrell however, as he hit the front around half distance. Holloway took second, whilst Rice resisted a late challenge from Mitchell for third.

The Grand National rounded off a good nights racing with Maynard and then Holloway showing at the front. Ian Chalkley 469 and Rob Batten had a good battle for a time before Chalkley pulled away. Farrell was moving quickly from the handicap and he took second place by the flag with Chalkley just holding on, Holloway took third.

Saloon Stock Cars
An amazing night of action from the Saloons with five very entertaining heats with close to 30 cars in each race producing some breathtaking action.
Heat one saw Eddie Darby 677 make his way to the front after Nick Courtier 114 amongst others took some very heavy knocks. Paul Soper 654 and Shane Brown 720 were both sent spinning, as Shaun Webster 402 pipped Phil Morgan 001 for second.

Heat two featured a fantastic opening as Glen Chalkley 269 was pushed the length of the back straight sideways before finishing up in the pit gate wall. Steve Santry 368 was another to visit the pit gate, as did Steve Webster 401. Soper cut through the field to take the victory.

Heat three saw Paul Licquorice 51 another pit bend victim as Kenny Purdie 17 took up the running. This heat featured a fascinating between Darby, Harry Burgoyne 68, and Morgan that continued for a number of laps that had the crowd entertained. Purdie took the victory from Shaun Webster and Brown.

In heat four David Aldous 499 was sent hurtling into the pit gate by Stevie Honeyman 607 bringing out the yellow flags. Danny Hunt 382 was looking good for the victory in this one until he was baulked by a back marker late on handing the win to a very grateful Soper.

Heat five saw Phil Powell 199 and Rab Copland 241 dispute the lead for a number of laps before Powell took up the running. Steve Webster 401 took advantage of Powell’s misfortune as he came to pass Somerset Stan 666 only to get delayed dropping down to fifth as a result. Burgoyne came through to take second from Shaun Webster to round off a quite magnificent evening racing.


H1 669, 890, 815, 15, 800, 464, 226, 189, 95, 589
H2 522, 438, 827, 219, 320, 664, 806, 707, 771, 788
H3 467, 600, 88, 371, 940, 251, 731, 830, 612, 509
LC 871, 721, 393, 781, 628
C1 676, 900, 469, 29, 189, 719, 589, 17, 257, 670
C2 667, 239, 315, NI940, 905, 14, 95, 71, 55, 79
FL 667, 940, 890, 905, 719, 522, 219, 189
GN 469, 667, 940, 219, 600, 589, 251, 806, 905, 189

H1 677, 402, 001, 213, 141, 499, 68, 654, 368, 470
H2 654, 161, 499, 24, 511, 120, 269, 2, 241, 441
H3 17, 402, 720, 199, 001, 213, 677, 807, 68, 470
H4 654, 161, 677, 001, 382, 262, 51, 93, 425, 807
H5 401, 68, 402, 7, 199, 241, 720, 607, 511, 93

BriSCA F2 Stock Cars - 2L Saloon Stock Cars - Taunton - Sunday 14 September 2003

Pictures by Karsten Bielschmidt of www.hotrodpics.de
Reporting by Alan Parkinson

BriSCA F2 Stock Cars

Heat one featured an early pile up on the west bend that accounted for Dave Ruby 731 and Graham Harding 827. John Vickery 771 led the field at this point, although Tim Farrell 667 had made it through to sixth at the restart. There was no holding the star grade driver back as he quickly made his way through to the front, forcing his way past Geoff Coleman 239 as he did so. Bernie Serpell 612 went in hard by the pit gate, Vickery clipping the dead car a couple of laps later. Farrell took the win from Coleman, whilst Justin Fisher 315 held off Gordon Moodie 79 for third.
Early leader of heat two was Andy Sobey 550 before a caution period was called to remove the stranded Dan Holloway 940 from the track. Sobey led the re start, but Mark Mills quickly pressurised him into going wide, Chad Harris 29 and Byrn Tootall 600 following through in their battle for second and third. That was how they finished the race with Colin Smith 719 taking an excellent fourth from Pete Rice 890.

Colin Eardley 589 and Clair Maynard 251 disputed the lead in heat three as further back Ian Thompson junior 901 and Paul Broatch 725 moved quickly through the pack. Bryn Thomas 900 and Neil Hooper 676 did likewise which only served to slow their progress to the front. Roy Goodman 800 was closing nicely in fourth when a pit bend pile up suddenly saw the veteran elevated to first place, the stadium erupting at this point. Goodman led the resultant rolling lap at the re start, whilst Thompson appeared to pass a back marker under yellows for which he was to receive the black cross. Goodman held onto second place at the line despite the closing presence of Broatch in his mirror, whilst Thompson, although receiving the chequered flag knew straight away that the victory wasn’t his, and so it was a clearly delighted Goodman that took his first win at Smeatharpe for many a long year, the whole crowd rising to salute one of the sports best loved characters, on such a fitting occasion.

The build up to the F2 World Final was exemplary, it had individual driver introductions, a grid walk and talk by Steve Linfield, two magical rollings laps, … and then it all went horribly wrong. Barry Goldin 401 from his pole position seemed to accelerate away going into turn three, the second row following, the green flag was at no time shown, so that by the time the lead cars had passed the starter they had realised that the race wasn’t on, unfortunately the cars in the middle of the pack had no sight or sound that this was the case and they flew into the first bend lifting stationary cars up in the air and on top of each other. Chris Roots 677, James Thackra 324, and Stuart Kelly 339 appeared to take the brunt of it, although a fair few cars sustained damage, including the pole sitters Bill Batten 167 and Goldin. As the race had not been officially started the drivers were allowed to take their cars off the track in order to get them ready for the delayed race that was moved further down the race order.

Once lined up again, and with all cars present and correct the order of “Gentlemen start your engines” was given to the drivers. Another painstakingly slow rolling lap proceeded a much better start and it was Goldin who led the field into turn one, with Mike James 717 collecting the Dutch hope Willie Peters H24, delaying the Cornishman somewhat. The race settled down to find Goldin leading from Batten, with Thackra in third. The Scottish pair of Stuart Kelly and reigning World Champion Chris Burgoyne 647 were the first major challengers to come to grief, and with both cars sat up on top of the back straight fence a yellow flag was called for. Goldin led the restart from Batten once more, although the veteran was never close enough to land a decisive challenge at that point. The race continued until Chris Roots went into the pit bend wall very hard bringing out the yellow flags once more. Goldin followed his familiar pattern on the rolling lap, but this time Batten appeared to miss the start, allowing Thackra the opportunity to hit Batten into the pit bend corner, but he could not shift him. Goldin was looking comfortable in first place, save for a couple of challenges from a back marking James Waterfall 290, who for good measure also delayed Batten somewhat. It was Waterfall’s car, his engine appeared to let go with the lap boards out, that if anything gave Goldin his first real test, the oil on the track causing a few anxious moments for the Bolton based driver. However it was soon clear that Batten and Thackra were struggling too, and it was a very happy Barry Goldin that had finally landed the most coveted prize in BriSCA F2 Stock car racing “the championship of the world”. Batten came home second, with Thackra an equal distance behind in third, Dave Luscombe 642 completing the top four. Goldin was clearly delighted to take the title after being the nearly man for so many years, whilst Batten was magnanimous in defeat, and Thackra was just so pleased to have completed the race distance on an unfamiliar track to come home in third place. The large crowd duly gave their respect to the podium finishers sweltering in the hot September sunshine, and at the same time welcoming Barry Goldin into the elite group of drivers that have the right to say that they have been BriSCA F2 stock car world champions.

Consolation one saw Dan Holloway 940 continue his good weekend form by taking the victory from Chris Mitchell 219, with Roger Mitchell 905 home in third.
Consolation two saw Denver Gratton 17 leading for a time before Mike Marr 461 came through to take up the running. Mike James was taking no prisoners in this one, but even he couldn’t catch the flying midlander.

A frantic final was brought to a halt early on as Alan Canham 351 continued his run of bad luck for the afternoon by rolling over on to the infield. Simon Walker 781 was by now out at the front, and very impressive he looked too. Further back a magnificent battle between James and Neil Hooper 676 saw the Cornishman spin out of contention, allowing Tim Farrell to set off after the leaders. Chad Harris 29 was ever so slowly closing on Walker, but he ran out of laps, the Leicestershire based driver taking the victory, and with it the magnificent Lipson Vale garage and van hire trophy, along with the annual Alan Benson trophy.
A reduced number of cars competed in the Grand National, but all the same

it was very entertaining with Broatch dispatching both Luscombe and James towards the west bend fence. This allowed Ian Chalkley 469 to set off after early leader Matthew Deeble 530 and relieve him of the lead. Luscombe and James finally got past Broatch again, and it was Luscombe who set off after Chalkley but to no avail. Gordon Moodie came home fourth, right on the tail of James.


H1 667, 239, 315, 79, 511, 664, 71, 806, 917, 150
H2 88, 29, 600, 719, 890, 606, 905, 111, 815, 189
H3 800, 725, 901, 900, 676, 607, 684, 903, 663, 509
WF 401, 167, 324, 642, 103, 721, 170, 718, 998, 393
C1 940, 219, 905, 351, 251, 744, 111, 560, 321, 70
C2 461, 717, 469, 781, 154, 128, 684, 525, 17, 38
FL 781, 29, 667, 393, 88, 79, 901, 676, 642, 239
GN 469, 642, 717, 79, 111, 677, 725, 251, 14, 663

NCH 677, 17, 001, 654, 382, 720, 68, 161, 401, 511
H1 17, 141, 654, 402, 677, 720, 84, 607, 625, 807
H2 001, 382, 401, 114, 144, 120, 470, 7, 425
FL 001, 720, 382, 402, 401, 114, 104, 84, 654, 625

Click Me!
Visit ukbanners.com

Welcome to rolling START! stock car racing on the web.  Best Viewed within a window of c800x600 pixels.

Contents copyright.  May not be reproduced without permission.